Here are some very helpful websites for music theory and ear training. Please check them out and feel free to comment on our blog. Your feedback will surely help others.
- A Musical Playground for Kids A large collection of tutorials ranging from elementary to advanced. Suggested by Addy – we love when students help one another learn!
- Sonic Fit Awesome set of tutorials, ear training exercises, musical literacy checks!
- Ricci Adams Music Theory.Net An easy-to-follow website full of lessons, trainers, and utilities.
- Musical Mind Excellent ear training site. Solfege ID, Note ID on Staff/Piano, Melody Ear Training, Interval Ear Training. (Ristow)
- Big Ears Ear training specifically for interval and keyboard recognition. Manipulate the interval direction or isolate certain intervals.
- Practice Sight Reading Rhythmic sight reading exercises. Manipulate time signature, number of measures, and level of difficulty.
- Sight Reading Factory Automatically generated sight-reading exercises. Choose the time signature, key, voice part, and level of difficulty.
- EMusic Theory Interactive Extensive music theory tutorials. Aural drill practice on intervals, scales, chords, keyboard recognition, note names, clefs.
- EMusic Theory Tutorials
- Teoria A wonderful site for interactive ear training exercises, reference materials, scores, music theory questions, music analysis, and articles about music.
- MTNA’s Websites for Kids An excellent compendium of links – despite being mislabeled (many of these links are not really for kids – though many, indeed, are). Music Teachers National Association offers this overview of selected websites that teachers might find helpful in augmenting lesson materials-particularly to enhance those six practice days between lessons!
Blank Manuscript Paper
A handy, create-your-own manuscript paper generator, allowing you to create simple, blank staff paper in a variety of sizes; or staves pre-printed with clefs, key/time signatures, bar-lines, etc. Staves are also groupable for a group scoring. Many templates have already been generated.